Why get an energy audit?
Watch this video to learn more about potential issues in your home that can lead to unhealthy living conditions and high utility bills. A GreenHomes America Partner can conduct a comprehensive home energy audit on your home and provide you with solutions that can not only help protect your family and ensure their comfort, but also lower your utility bills.
What To Expect From a Home Energy Audit
With the increased focus on energy, climate, and plain old home economics, we're hearing a lot more about home energy audits. And an assessment or energy audit makes sense- but only if it's accurate and actionable. That is, the audit really finds out how your home is operating (through a range of diagnostic tests), and it gives you specific recommendations that you can actually act on—including being able to translate the steps to any contractor you use. GreenHomes America walks you through the key components of a comprehensive home energy audit.
A simple "clipboard audit" or home energy rating won’t cover both of these for you, so make sure you get what you need. And don't waste your money on what you don't!
During a comprehensive home energy audit a (certified and trained) home performance advisor should conduct a variety of tests (about 2 ½ hours) customized for your home, including:
- Utility Bill Analysis — to determine usage patterns and look for ways to reduce looking at your electric and gas (or oil or propane) consumption
- Blower Door Test — to measure and locate all the sources of air leaks in your home
- Infrared Scan — to identify hidden defects including insulation gaps, air leakage, duct leakage, and moisture issues
- Visual Inspection — to find evidence of problems affecting the durability of your house
- Insulation Inspection — to determine insulation levels in various areas of your home’s shell
For the continued list of our 26 pt. Home Energy Audit Click Here.