15 Oct 5 Reasons to Switch to Solar Energy
We've all heard of solar energy, so why haven't you made the switch to solar yet? Solar energy is renewable, sustainable, and very plentiful, and can provide significant solar energy savings in your utility bills. The cost continues to drop and the availability is skyrocketing - there are over one million solar installations across America! If you're on the fence about solar energy, or are just looking for more information first, read on! Here are 5 reasons to switch to solar today:
1. Solar Energy Saves you MoneySolar energy systems can be an incredible investment if you are looking to lower your energy bills. The financial returns will vary depending on a few factors:
- How much electricity you use on a monthly basis
- The size of the solar energy system you install
- If you purchase the solar energy system vs lease
- The number of hours in direct sunlight your solar energy system receives
- Size and angle of your roof in relation to the sun
- And the rates of your local electric utility companies
Since solar panels have such long lifespans, they provide long-term value. For most homeowners, much of the initial fee of solar energy system installation is offset by the continual savings on energy bills. Properly treated and maintained solar panels can 40 years or more!
Solar energy savings isn't just about lowering your monthly utility bill - It is also possible for homeowners to receive tax incentives at state or federal levels. A tax credit is a dollar-for-dollar reduction in the amount of income tax you would otherwise owe. The current federal solar tax credit can be claimed on federal income taxes for a percentage of the cost of a solar system. Learn more about this tax credit on a Homeowner's Guide to the Federal Tax Credit for Solar Photovoltaics at energy.gov.
2. Solar Systems Increase your Home's Value
Solar system installations are considered an upgrade to your home, so purchasing solar panels would likely increase your home's value. Studies have shown that homeowners will pay more for a home with solar energy systems. For example, according to cnbc.com a home in New Jersey that has solar panels can sell almost 10% more than homes without solar systems!
3. Solar Energy is Environmentally and Economically Beneficial
Solar energy is a renewable, sustainable, and inexhaustible source of energy. According to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the electric sector is responsible for 27% of carbon emissions in America. These power plants for fossil fuels create these carbon emissions and cause local air pollution to increase in those areas. Making the switch to solar cuts down on your personal impact on carbon emissions.
Going with solar energy also supports local job creation, helping to boost the economy. The solar industry employs more than 230,000 people in America according to IREC's annual solar job census.
4. Solar Energy is ConvenientMaking the switch to solar energy can involve the decision for solar energy to supplement your existing utility connection, or, to install a large system with a home battery.
Going 100% solar will involve a lot of planning, however if you value complete energy self-sufficiency, value total clean energy, or if you live in a remote area, this may be the best solution for you. Building your dream home in any location you desire doesn't always come with utility hookups, so going solar may be your only option.
Even if you still are connected to a local energy utility company, like most of America, you still will reap incredible benefits:
- Not losing power - with a home battery, you can disconnect from the power grid when local power fails and switch on your stored solar energy.
- Your solar battery can take in and store power when it is at it's most cost-effective, and then use it when energy needs are at their most expensive.
- Some utility companies are even paying homeowners for the electricity stored in their home solar batteries.
5. It's Easy to Get Started
Local solar installation companies offer a wide range of financing options, easy estimates, and are focused on solving energy problems - not just selling products.
GreenBrilliance is a GreenHomes America Quality Contractor serving Virginia, Washington D.C., Maryland, and Pennsylvania and build solar systems end-to-end. All the work is done in-house - from design and engineering to permitting and installation, monitoring and maintenance, they offer truly turnkey systems and make the switch to solar energy easy. Read more about GreenBrilliance in our Contractor Spotlight or contact them for an instant, ballpark estimate using satellites today!
Learn more about solar systems and energy efficiency in our Learning Center and find a local solar contractor today!