Learn How to Reduce Mold in Your Home

Learn How to Reduce Mold in Your Home

In simple terms, Indoor Air Quality is about how good or how bad the air is inside the places we live or work. However, what makes diagnosing indoor air quality problems difficult is that the effects on people look similar to those from colds or other viral infections. As a result, it is often difficult to determine if the symptoms are a result of exposure to indoor air pollution or a simple cold.

It is therefore very important to pay attention to the time and place symptoms occur. For example, do the symptoms fade or go away when a person is away from the home? If so, an effort should be made to identify indoor air sources that may be possible causes.

To further complicate things, a person’s reaction to a pollutant depends on their individual sensitivity. Obviously, this varies tremendously from person to person. For example, s0me people can become sensitized to biological or chemical pollutants immediately. Conversely, others become sensitive after repeated or high-level exposures. Indoor pollution sources that release gases or particles into the air are the primary cause of indoor air quality problems.

Mold Impacts Indoor Air Quality

Mold is part of the natural environment and can be found everywhere (indoors and outdoors). However, generally mold is not a problem unless it begins growing indoors. Therefore, mold inside your home can trigger asthma attacks in sensitive individuals and can cause respiratory infections such as Bronchitis and Fungal Infections and allergies.

Mold, in small amounts, is usually not a problem or anything to worry about unless you are extremely sensitive to it. Cleaning small amounts of mold off hard surfaces with water and detergent can be effective. Let it dry completely. In some cases, absorbent materials such as ceiling tiles, unpainted drywall or some wood surfaces may need to be replaced when contaminated with mold.

Molds produce allergens (allergens that can cause allergic reactions) and irritants. Inhaling or touching mold may cause allergic reactions in sensitive individuals. Allergic responses include hay fever-type symptoms, such as sneezing, runny nose, red eyes and skin rash.

Allergic reactions to mold are common. Molds can also cause asthma attacks in people with asthma who are allergic to mold. In addition, mold exposure can irritate the eyes, skin, nose, throat, and lungs of both mold-allergic and non-allergic people.

Since mold can obviously negatively impact indoor air quality in homes, learning about mold and how to eliminate any harmful effects is the goal.

Help Me Reduce Mold In My Home
Start Your Project Now!